The Leapfrog Kindergarten class meets Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday from 9:00 AM-2:00 PM and is taught by Staci Lovold.
Any child who is 5 on or before September 1 is eligible to register for the Leapfrog Kindergarten class. Tuition is $225 per month.
Our Kindergarten Offers:
- Plenty of recess – As a play-based kindergarten, outdoor play (dependent on weather) and gross motor play are built into every class session.
- Forest kindergarten – Being outdoors is a very important component of Downey. Every month, students spend a Friday session at Southeastway Park. Students are at the park all day – hiking, learning about nature, and doing other class activities.
- Social justice – Students partner with Downey Christian Church’s Food Pantry and also with an area nursing home. Students make regular trips to the nursing home and conduct regular drives for the food pantry.
- Specials – As in public schools and in some area private schools, kindergarten students at Downey will get weekly music and/or yoga lessons. Art is integrated into every class session.
- Academics – Students will be taught by a certified, experienced teacher who will use Indiana State Standards so that students will be prepared to enter first grade at the completion of the school year.
- Family involvement and Community – Parents volunteer in the class 1-2 times a month. As a result, they build strong relationships with the teacher, with other parents, and with other students.
- Small class size – The maximum number of kids in the class is 10. There are two adults in the classroom (teacher and a parent), which will allow for individualized instruction for the students.
- Behavior management – Downey does not use behavior charts or timeouts for students.
- Special needs – Students with special needs are welcome at Downey. Families are encouraged to set up a tour and meet with a school representative to determine if Downey can meet the needs of the student.
Who is Downey Cooperative Kindergarten right for?
- Families looking for a part-time kindergarten. Downey meets Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday from 9am-2pm.
- Families wanting children to have a play-based learning experience. Students at Downey are taught with a curriculum using Indiana State Standards but have daily opportunities to learn through play.
- Families looking for a school that will have a social justice focus.
- Families looking for a school that will provide specials like music and Spanish as well as integrated art.
- Families looking for a “gap year” kindergarten. Leapfrogs kindergarten is a great option for students that will turn 5 right after August 1 but on or before September 1 who are ready to move past preschool but unable to attend public school kindergarten.
- Families looking for a non-traditional kindergarten but who want their child to be prepared for first grade.
Sample Schedule for Leapfrog Kindergarten
9:00-9:20 – Arrival & Morning Work Tubs
9:20-9:45 – Morning Meeting
9:45-10:30 – Language Stations
10:30-10:50 – Brain Break
10:50-11:35 – Math Workshop
11:35-12:00 – Lunch
12:00-12:25 – Rest/Journals/Yoga
12:30-1:40 – Free Play/Project Work
1:40-2:00 – Gross Motor Play