Downey Cooperative Preschool, which is located in the heart of Indianapolis’s historic Irvington district, has a simple and happy philosophy: children, parents, and teachers go to school together, each learning from the other. A cooperative preschool offers parents a program for their child at a reasonable cost and also a chance to work with other parents on a creative and challenging project.
The school is an environment in which children will be guided in their growth and development through contact with adults, who are also maturing, as well as other children their own age. The equipment is designed to stimulate their individual development. The crucial fact, however, is that each is loved and accepted as he or she is. This is essential if they are to grow, develop, and learn within their abilities.
You as a parent get to know your child better by being with him or her and by watching her or him with children of the same age. Both mothers and fathers can share in this experience. A trained, experienced teacher is the foundation of this child-sized world. She is there to help you have more faith in yourself and in your child, as well as to help each see him- or herself as a worthy human being.
Not the least important of our goals is providing the parent an opportunity to gain a degree of objectivity about his or her child by having some time alone for his or her own activities while the child is in school and by participating once or twice a month in the school program under the teacher’s leadership.
What families are saying about Downey:
- We love Staci and Mindy. We love the spirit of the co-op and Irvington.
- Downey is a very affordable and very fun environment with a lot of helpful families and friends. Great sense of community and great start to a child’s education.
- I fully believe in the play-based teaching. I enjoy participating in the classroom and sharing in my child’s experience. Everyone works very hard to maintain a happy, healthy school. It’s small enough that each child gets love and attention.
- This has been an excellent place for my children to explore, play, learn, and grow! I have enjoyed becoming involved with a community of families and making wonderful friends!
- An incredible school and a great way for my child to begin his education.
- We love this school! Both of my children have attended and have had wonderful experiences.
Downey Non-Discrimination Policy
Downey Cooperative Preschool does not discriminate against any family, child, or employee on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, national origin, age, ability, sex, gender identity, religion, sexual orientation, or family structure in admittance into our classes or in hiring and employment.
Please consider donating to Downey Cooperative Preschool through JustGive.org.